Full Class

Discussion for Volti (2010) Society and Technological Change

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Janelle Wilke Janelle Wilke 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Discuss Volti’s Society and Technological Change here.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

Volti does an excellent job in balancing the pros and cons of technology. I especially liked how he structured the article by first defining the definitions of technology and mentions that the meaning is constantly being revised.
    The one interesting point he makes is that he emphasizes that organization is a huge part of technology because I would not have thought about the necessary organization needed in order to invent new technology.
    He states the process of technological advance can be graphically shown in an S-shaped curve which not only served as a clear way to express his view on technology but allowed me as a reader to understand what he was writing about in the previous paragraph.
    Once I looked at the graph, I could immediately see why it is shaped like that based off of my own personal experience with seeing technologies coming and going in my life time.

Profile photo of Cassandra
    Cassandra
    Participant

Volti’s paper was really good and I enjoyed reading about inventions. He mentions about having new technology creating it’s own need and technology just for fun which is a big plus in my book since the later is not something people will say when they thing about engineer and inventions.

I’m also glad Volti touched that having machines does not make us, the society using these machine, as more sophisticated than a society that doesn’t use machines.

I believe it was on the other forum where Eric mention AIs, and reading about technology and rationality. Is it more irrational to create more ‘human-like’ AIs than there are when ourselves are still working on understanding the human mind and body?

Profile photo of Janelle Wilke
    Janelle Wilke
    Participant

I think Volti’s article has a lot of relevancy to this class. I like that it touches on how the caliber of technology is being heightened, but what we choose to use it for is another matter. 3D printers, for instance, are being used to test part sizing (so designers are not making thousands of a piece that is ultimately defective)… or perhaps more importantly, being used in medical context (such as replacing spinal disks and so forth). Yet 3D printers are sometimes used in a playful manner (i.e. when I used it to print a model of a ship for a friend’s Warhammer set). The same idea is applicable to game design. The value of a technology can be emphasized or completely lost on a game, depending on how relevant it is to its market. What good is using the “best” technology to create a game if it is something no one is interested in? Need/desire must be factored in.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.