Full Class

Post Reading Questions for Bauerlein (2001) here

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shengsheng Bao Shengsheng Bao 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Please post reading questions for Bauerlein (2001) in this topic.

Profile photo of Janet

Unlike many other writers on related topics, Bauerlein at least acknowledges the influence of television viewing. The New York Daily News reports that Americans age 18 to 24 watch television an average of 22 hours, 27 minutes per week, according to the March 2014 “Cross-Platform Report” by the Nielsen media ratings company. That’s 3.2 hours per day, which is actually less than the 5 hours per day average for Americans overall. Is the social “disconnect” of Millennials really a new phenomenon, or merely the next step in a progression of social disconnection which started with the Baby Boomers – the first television generation?

Profile photo of Torrie

Baurelein spends a good part of his article talking about how stressed out students are nowadays and have no free time compared to a few years prior. He says students only worry about success and that they are losing pieces of themselves to all of their studies. Has education changed at all since he wrote this article and do you think it has gotten better or worse?

Profile photo of Eric

Baurelein mentions that teens and young adults are not taking advantage of the extraordinary chances to gain knowledge from the internet. Is this because we are “lazy” or is it how we view education in American culture where education separated recreation?

Profile photo of Cassandra

Baulein’s writing, rubbed me the wrong way as someone who worked with higher educational students. When he talks about watching tv, it seems like he’s discounting that people do things while watching tv and the reasons why people watch tv (in addition to what they are watching). What are the methods used in the studies he is citing?

I think Baulein isn’t looking at the big picture and the trend of civilizations and their changes. Did this book also start the trend of Millennial bashing that has been popular now?

Profile photo of Janelle Wilke
    Janelle Wilke

I think I got lost momentarily in this reading and would be interested in a little clarity… That is, I’m trying to find the transition (that is, the connection) between Bauerlein’s observation of students who invest too much time studying and students who spend most of their free time watching television (or essentially avoiding studying). Are these views both applicable to the younger generations? Is he attempting to create contrast? Both views seem to be negative; and I suppose he is trying to give a glimpse at a happy-medium…

Profile photo of Kyle Myers
    Kyle Myers

Bauerlein’s writing perfectly demonstrated what Prensky warned readers about. While reading the excerpt, I envisioned Bauerlein as bitter old man who refused to accept the technological advancements of society. Although I believe he makes several thought provoking statements, I was under the impression that he himself had an unusually thick “digital immigrant accent.” Is Bauerlein simply among an older generation that stubbornly rejects societal change?

Profile photo of Jacob Robson
    Jacob Robson

Bauerlein, in this excerpt, seems to resemble the “old fogies” described in his book. He argues that as we are in the information age, kids of this era should strive to achieve for more as they have more information than ever before at their fingertips. Are Bauerlein’s concerns about,paradoxically, students who strive too hard and students who strive too little justified? Or are these just the echoes of a previous generation?

Profile photo of Sam Robison
    Sam Robison

This writing reminds me of an old person rambling about how kids don’t read as much as they should. Is there any validity to this writing? Is there any actual harm that come for too much time playing video games or using the internet?

Profile photo of Sunny Liu
    Sunny Liu

The students are doing a lot but are they learning? It says they are taking a lot of tough classes and is looking out for their SAT scores but then it goes to say that they do not spend a lot of time on their homework. Could it be just that our curriculum is not fit for the students? Maybe it is not personalized and diverse enough? Also, not all modern day media are bad it just depends on the case by case. Certain shows and games are very deep and filled with content that you need to think about, while some are just totally brainless. We need to go look below the surface. Maybe we should consider develop more specialized courses and more relatable content?

Profile photo of Shengsheng Bao
    Shengsheng Bao

Bauerlein has his worries about how technologies affect students’ life. This is true that we are pushed to face mass of information nowadays rather than 10 years ago. some time we do not realize we are learning while we are facebooking or twittering. after read this article, I think we filter the information based on what we are interested in, and then, we absorb the useful information from tons of resources which we can approach.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.