Full Class

Post Reading Questions for Prensky (2001a,b) here

This topic contains 8 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shengsheng Bao Shengsheng Bao 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Please post your questions for Prensky (2001a,b) in this forum topic.

Profile photo of Janet
    Janet
    Participant

These papers were published in 2001. That’s a l-o-n-g time ago, by digital standards. He makes his points regarding adapting to Digital Natives (DN) to make education easier for them, but shouldn’t he also consider what is needed to help DNs function in the “real world” of business, family and other “analog” relationships?

Profile photo of Sam Robison
    Sam Robison
    Participant

Since this article was published so long ago have any changes taken place to adopt/confirm Prensky’s theory, that the problem with education is that we are using outdated teaching methods that worked on digital immigrants to teach digital natives?

Profile photo of Torrie
    Torrie
    Participant

This article is a bit out-dated and a lot has changed since then with technology and education, do you think Prensky would have the same opinion he did all those years ago or do you think his opinion would change at all?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

While I agree with many of Prensky’s studies, I have to wonder if his assumptions on Digital Native mythologies are still accurate. While it is true that some gamers are accustomed to “twitch speed, multitasking, random-access, graphic-first, active connected, fun fantasy and quick-payoff world” features. Those features were the only types available in game (in 2001). Now a great example for a game that does not follow any of those features is Minecraft which many kids are playing these day. Will the kids growing up with Minecraft have the same though-process as someone who grew up with Metal Slug? Have children lost the ability to reflect and to create mental models? Games like Minecraft say otherwise.

Profile photo of Cassandra
    Cassandra
    Participant

I remember hearing about digital natives and digital immigrants before in my earlier classes. Prensky talks about how today’s students are spending less time reading and more interaction with technology. However, I’m unclear about what the separations between digital natives and digital immigrant really are? When this paper was printed, I would be considered a digital native, but I do not really identify as one since it was during elementary school that where I was shown how to use and play with digital devices. Before then, I had more traits aligning with a digital immigrant. So would there be a grey area between digital native and digital immigrant?

A lot Prensky comments about how digital immigrants remind me of clips and writing I saw back in the early century (the 1900s not the 2000s) and a few when the government decided to promote science in schools due to the advent of War World II. It seems that there are always these types of articles that have the overall theme of children of today (be it 1955, 1970, 1999, 2014) are different than they used to be. Are people noticing more on the difference when they compare digital natives and digital immigrants? Is there a bias involved with their comparison?

One comment I that I noticed Prensky doesn’t seem to be aware that educational games have been around a long time. In my classes, students and my professors loved it when you mix a game with learning standard. Whether it was a long term one like in my high school economics class where we earn money for being in class and bought our own seats and could rent them out. Or a short one class period where you make a spelling game. The medium for the games has changed.

In addition, I wonder how Prensky will feel about the advent of common core (educational standards)* and the focus on critical thinking.

*In case anyone is confused about the educational babble, educational standards are what the government tells what the public schools have to teach you and when. Common core is a national initiative for states to adopt in public schools. The standards for when you were in school have probably been changed over the years by the state you were taught in.

Profile photo of Janelle Wilke
    Janelle Wilke
    Participant

I agree with Cassandra’s comments on Prensky’s article. It seems that the age and perception of Digital Natives is even more relevant as the years pass (we’re seeing apps for infant development, for example). What I’m interested in is Prensky’s statement that Digital Immigrants are having difficulty teaching Digital Natives. I would like to know what the studies are that show the detriments of the generation gaps? I think it is important to note that the onslaught of technology allows for many opportunities to engage students of different learning capacities. Knowledge is increasing in accessibility and teachers can utilize the tools available as supplement to classroom knowledge, to make lessons more relevant. I think keeping students engaged in a lesson has always been the challenge for teachers… technology can definitely be a distraction that the Digital Natives bring to the table. Some of Prensky’s comments make me feel like he believes we should almost “trick” Digital Natives into playing games that are actually educational. But are the games imparting knowledge a bit too softly? How do we remove the distraction and make use of all the excellent tools at hand without making the lessons too abstract from real life applications?

Profile photo of Jacob Robson
    Jacob Robson
    Participant

When I was reading this article, I got the impression that this was a look into the mind of a man familiar with the technology that drove society, but of the opinion that it was destroying the concept of learning. As technology has marched on exponentially, many devices have become easier to use and maintain compared to thirteen years ago. Has this advancement supported or refuted Prensky’s fears?

Profile photo of Shengsheng Bao
    Shengsheng Bao
    Participant

After reading this article, I keep thinking that how to implement technologies in my future class with those digital natives. the development of technology is much faster than the past, as a future teacher, it is so important to use technologies which are more efficient and draw more attention from the students during class. As a teacher, if I know how my students might think, I probably will have more understanding of them and I can plan a better lesson. I might use the kids friendly tech language which could shorten the gap between teachers and students.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.